Friday, December 9, 2011

Ode to a Wagon

I test drove a new car today. I felt like I was cheating on my old one. I had no idea I was so emotionally attached to this eleven year old Volvo wagon. But, I realized in the sea of change that has been our life it has been a constant.

You will notice that I normally refer to things as "our". "Our" children. "Our" home. "Our" love. Well, in the case of the Wagon, she is MINE. She is the first car that I actually bought. I secured the financing. I test drove her. I chose her. (Grant helped to find her and certainly helped me make my decision, but being we were just dating, it was really mine to make.) I was so proud of that purchase. Previously, I was a lease-girl. I liked shiny, brand new cars. The Wagon was my first used car purchase and she was just perfect for me...and ultimately our family to come.

I drove the wagon to my wedding ceremony. Grant drove Cate and me home from the hospital when she was born. Grant drove the wagon for a while so we could save money. That wagon was parked at my first house on Kenneth Street, it survived living in Springfield, made the move to San Marco...Monroeville...and Montgomery. But, now, it won't be traveling with us anymore. The Wagon will not be going to Nashville.

That. Makes. Me. Sad.

Sad to the point that I was teary as I spoke with the man at the dealership about her trade-in value. Sad that as I drove off in the soon-to-be "our car" that I was teary. Sad that when I think about not having her with not so great speakers, pealing leather, creeky struts, broken back hatch, slow pick-up and the 148,000 miles that she has on her...I just plain want to cry.

It is her time to go. And, quite frankly, had Ford not completely messed up making Volvo I would be putting some big bucks into getting her back to her glory. But, alas, she is not worth it anymore. But, for the memories that she quite literally carried, I might have been willing to spend the money.

So long my dear Wagon. You have been a blessing to our family, kept us safe and faithfully gotten us to where we needed to go for more than seven years. We will miss you!

No comments: